"We, the students of bet8登录, resolve to uphold the honor of the College…
We pledge to do all that is in our power to create a spirit of honesty and honor for its own sake."
荣誉守则 is a vital part of the Barnard community because it helps to shape the character of bet8登录. The “Honor System” refers to the combination of the Honor Code, 荣誉委员会, and the members of the entire Barnard community who together strive toward building a community of academic integrity.
Approved by the student body in 1912 and updated in 2016, the Code states:
We, the students of bet8登录, resolve to uphold the honor of the College by engaging with integrity in all of our academic pursuits. We affirm that academic integrity is the honorable creation and presentation of our own work. We acknowledge that it is our responsibility to seek clarification of proper forms of collaboration and use of academic resources in all assignments or exams. We consider academic integrity to include the proper use and care for all print, 电子, 或其他学术资源. We will respect the rights of others to engage in pursuit of learning in order to uphold our commitment to honor. We pledge to do all that is in our power to create a spirit of honesty and honor for its own sake.
- Specifies the responsibilities of the student and serves as a protector of her rights in the academic community. This is first and foremost the role of the Honor Code.
- Clearly states Barnard’s core value of “pursuing knowledge for the sake of gaining knowledge.”
- Provides an environment where academic freedom and creativity may thrive.
- Can function optimally only if followed by students, alumnae, and faculty.
- "Electronic resources" includes recorded class content — from lectures, 实验室, 研讨会, office hours and discussion groups — and is the intellectual property of your professor and your fellow students, and should not be distributed or shared outside of class.
荣誉守则 was approved by student vote on January 9, 1912. Today, a century later, the Code continues to shape the distinctive culture of the College. Barnard students enrolled in Columbia courses are bound by the Code, as are Columbia students enrolled in Barnard courses.
Based on the recognition that academic integrity requires active commitment by all members of the community, the Honor System has evolved from focusing primarily on the responsibility of students to a system involving shared responsibility.
If you have questions or would like to connect with a Co-chair of 荣誉委员会, please email Dean Laurita at firstname.lastname@example.org